In response to the COVID-19 pandemic, there has been a significant increase in the number of organizations providing devices for general patient/resident use. As many facilities have implemented changes to limit visitors, this can leave patients/residents without means to stay in contact with friends and family. Organization owned/controlled devices can help combat this issue by allowing communication such as video-calling.
When looking to implement general purpose devices:
- Check to determine what types of devices you are using – Apple iPads, Google ChromeBooks, Samsung Galaxy, etc.
- Determine how you will connect the devices – will they be on an existing WiFi network (such as Guest) or a special purpose network
- Create an inventory of devices and have staff members check-in/out the devices
- Try to prevent theft, such as tethering the devices to wheeled carts
- Create a user group for residents that does not have admin rights
- Ensure Anti-virus is installed and running
- Enable Kiosk mode if applicable.
For further guidance on COVID-19 related security precautions, request a free consult.