This year the cybersecurity realm has seen an uptick in cyberattacks, like ransomware, on holidays and weekends. Attackers are relying on organizations to be left with their guard down so they can take advantage. CISA and the FBI released a reminder with best practices, mitigations, and commonly used techniques to help protect your organization, leaving you and your team with more time to enjoy at home. We have outlined the guidance below and linked to the reminder above!
Techniques used by attackers could include:
- Sites that appear safe or to be raising money for charity
- Unencrypted financial transactions
Steps to help protect your organization:
- Discuss who can be available from IT Security should there be an incident and how to contact them.
- Implement multi-factor authentication (MFA) for remote access and administrative accounts, at minimum.
- Require strong passwords that are not reused across multiple accounts.
- If you use remote desktop protocol (RDP), ensure it is secure and monitored.
- Remind employees not to click on suspicious links/attachments/emails, and conduct exercises to raise awareness.